UA-60701407-50 Holiday Safety Tips for Your Pets - Golden Daily Scoop

December 16, 2011

Holiday Safety Tips for Your Pets

 We received these safety tips from our Vet and wanted to share them with our furiends so we can all have a safe holiday!

Holiday Hazard

How to keep your pet safe

Dangerous Foods

The following can be toxic to pets: chocolate, raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, garlic, onion, alcohol, caffeinated beverages, bread dough, and sugar-free candy and gum containing the artificial sweetener xylitol.

Regular Foods

Despite tradition, bones should never be given to pets. Even beef, ham, and other "regular" foods that are not considered toxic can cause illness in pets. If your pet is a moocher, keep a saucer of his regular treats on the table to offer when he asks. He probably won't know the difference!

New Treats and Toys

Even a pet-safe treat can cause stomach upset if it is new to your pet. Offer only one of these at a time (ideally, separated by a few days). If your pet becomes ill after eating a holiday treat, it will be easier to trace the source and discontinue it. Also, check new toys for sharp edges, pieces that can be chewed off, or other potential hazards.


Hazardous plants include mistletoe, some evergreens (including some types of pine), and holly bushes and berries. Try to keep these plants away from pets, or at least supervise pets when dangerous plants are nearby.


Tinsel, tree ornaments, ribbons, string, and garlands are some items that can be dangerous if eaten by pets. Keep these items away from pets — especially when pets are unattended. Don't forget to cover any electrical cords or keep them out of reach.

Fire and Carbon Monoxide

Monitor pets near fireplaces, wood-burning stoves, candles, and portable heaters. Also, don't forget to check smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are functioning properly. Space heaters, furnaces, and idling cars (in a garage) can increase the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in pets and humans.

Christmas Trees

Monitor your pets when they are around your holiday tree. Pets may eat the needles (even from artificial trees) or drink water from the base of the tree, which can be toxic (especially if there are preservatives in it). Keep electrical cords and decorative lights out of reach, too.


  1. Very good post for this time of the year. Thank You for the reminders!

  2. Woof! Woof! Lots of Golden Thanks for the reminder ... Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    FYI: got your email ... will keep in touch with you again when we come back from our Holiday break. Golden Woofs

  3. Thanks for the reminder of Christmas hazards.

  4. Excellent holiday safety tips, thank you for sharing!

  5. That's grrrreat impawrent info!

    woos, Tessa



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...